All the following from Barbara Anne Hearne OneWorldTree entry:
Name: Robert LOONEY
Birth: ABT 1692 in Ballagilley Farm, Maughold Parish, Isle of Man, Ireland/England
Death: 14 SEP 1769 in Looney's Mill Creek, Botetorte Co., VA
Burial: SEP 1769 Reed Creek, Botetorte Co., VA
Occupation: A Manx farmer from Ballagilley, Maughold Parish, Isle of Man
Occupation: Ran Looney's Ferry & Looney's Mill (Looney's Creek flows into the James River)
Will: 13 NOV 1770 Will probated in Botetorte Co., VA
Event: Event 1735 Entered the Quaker Colony of VA with Alexander Ross and Morgan Bryan of PA
Event: Event 12 NOV 1735 Received a Patent fron the Crown, George ll for 294 acres
Event: Event 30 JUL 1742 400 acres on "Lunnie's" Mill Creek
Immigration: 1731 To the Colonies
Probate: 14 SEP 1769 Botetorte Co., VA, Book A, p. 03
Reference Number: 5604
Records of William A. Little
Walls Family Tree and Others
Entries: 19208 Updated: Fri Jun 28 22:47:27 2002 Contact: Sandra Walls
Name: Robert LOONEY
Given Name: Robert
Birth: Abt 1692 in Ballagilley Farm, Maughold Parish, Isle Of Mann, Ireland/England
Death: 14 Sep 1769 in Looney's Mill Cr., Botetourte County, Virginia
Burial: Sep 1769 Botetourte County, Virginia, Reed Creek, Virginia
Reference Number: 1461
Event: Fact 1 Was A Manx Farmer From Ballagilley, Maughold Parish, Isle Of MAN
Will: 13 Nov 1770 Will Probated In Botetourt County, Virginia
Event: Fact 2 1735 Entered The Quaker Colony Of Virginia With Alexander Ross And Morgan Bryan Of Pennsylvania
Event: Fact 3 12 Nov 1735 Recieved A Patent From The Crown, George The 2ND For 294 Acres
Event: Fact 4 30 Jul 1742 400 Acres On "Lunie S" Mill Creek
Immigration: 1731 Immigrated To The Colonies
Event: [Name]Occupation Farmer, Ran Looney's Ferry And Looney's Mill
Probate: 14 Sep 1769 Botetourte Co., VA, Book A, P. 3
Change Date: 27 Mar 2002 at 08:26
In about 1724, Robert and Elizabeth Looney came to America from the Isle of Man, Great Britain, with their family, settling first in Philadelphia, PA and later in colonial Maryland. Soon thereafter they moved west to the new frontier and settled in Augusta County, Virginia on the James River. There on Looney Creek, Robert and Elizabeth raised their family, established the first ferry crossing of the James River, built a mill, grew crops and raised livestock. Due to the constant conflict between France and England, as well as the threat of Indian attack, a fort was ordered built in 1755 around the Looney home site. This fort was named Fort Looney and was at the junction of Looney Creek and the James River. This fort was part of a series of forts ordered built along the frontier to protect settlers and to keep the French from claiming the territory. Fort Looney was visited in 1756 by Col. George Washington, future first president of the United States.
The Looney sons were frontiersmen and pioneers. Some fought and died with the British against the French and Indians. Some were killed by Indians during frequent frontier raids on settlers while others helped to explore and expand the frontier boundaries first into southwestern Virginia and eventually into Tennessee Indian Territory. The Looney sons and grandsons fought against the British in the War of Independence.
QUARTERLY BULLETIN OF THE ARCHEOLOGICAL SOCIETY OF VIRGINIA, VOL 26, NO. 2, DECEMBER, 1971
THE LIPES SITE, BOTETOURT COUNTY, VIRGINIA
Howard A. MacCord, Sr.
The Lipes Site (44, S0.1) lies on the right (south) bank of the James River, just west of the mouth of Looney Mill Creek, 15 miles west of the town of Buchanan, Virginia, and .4 miles east of the crossing of the James River by Interstate Highway 81. The site is about 25 feet above normal river stage and has rarely been flooded. Probably in prehistoric times, it did not flood at all. The site is owned by the Lipes family, to whom we are indebted for the privilege of making the present story of the site. We are also obligated to Mr. Stuart B. Carter of Buchanan for bringing the site to our attention, for helping make arrangements for the work, for help in the actual field-work, and for his hospitality to several of us during the time we worked at the site.
The site has been known to the archaeological world for many years. A letter in the files of the Valentine museum of Richmond, from a Mr. Charles L. Wilson, dated 9 July, 1903, reports the findings of burials on a point where Looney's Creek enters the James River. He reports that many burial's were found and not removed, and that the site yields pottery, axes, etc. The burials were found about 1892 when an ice house was excavated on the site. In addition, many local collectors of Indian relics have found the site a productive place to search after each plowing. About 1966, Mr. Stuart Carter (with permission of Mrs. Lipes) tested a spot near the river bank and found a deep refuse-filled pit, which he excavated. The materials found in this test are included in the analysis of the cultural materials found in the current work.
A farm road perpendicular to the river leads from the high ground south of the river valley to the river bank at the western edge of the site. A corresponding road leads north from the north bank of the river. The river between the two ends of the road is still and deep, and here was the only suitable place for miles for ferrying across the river. The present farm roads are the survivors of the "Carolina Road" along which so many pioneers moved during the mid-18th Century, and the ferry is the well-known Looney's Ferry.
Because of the ideal topography of the site and its proximity to the road and ferry site, it was almost inevitable that the site would have been settled at an early date. While the earliest history of the site is unknown, it is certain that on July 30, 1742, Mr. Robert Looney patented the site. Presumably, he also kept a tavern for lodging and feeding the travelers using his ferry and the Carolina Road.
With the growing threat of Indian attacks in 1754-55, Looney was obliged to fortify his homestead. He probably had enough men (he had 5 grown sons) at the tavern-ferry to run the fort for routine guard duty, and he could count on neighbors and travelers to augment this force if an attack came. The fort was already in existence in 1755 and was called Fort Looney. Apparently the fort was never attacked, possibly because it was too strong. In 1758 the fort at Looney's ferry was renamed Fort Faquier in honor of the newly arrived Governor of the Colony. The subsequent history of the fort is uncertain. We know that Robert Looney died in 1769, and one son (Absalom) pioneered into Tazwell County (Stoner, 1962). Looney's house continued to stand, with additions and changes until about 1914, when it was torn down. A solitary pear tree still stands as an indicator that the site was formerly a homestead. In addition, there are people in the neighborhood who can remember the house. The site is now a plowed field, and such debris from more than 175 years of occupation still litters the ground. Where the house formerly stood, the soil is filled with bricks and stones from the old foundations.
Migrated from the Isle of Man in 1730, to Virginia, settled on Looney Creek which flows into the James river.
Estate of David Looney, 10 Sept. 1814, Sullivan Co., TN
Knox Co., TN, Will Book 4, dated Aug 2, 1823, Moses Looney Will
Samuel Looney lived close to brother Moses Looney in Knox Co., TN
Annals of Southwest Virginia 1769-1800, By Lewis Preston Summers, Vol. 1, in two parts-Part 11, Botetourt Co., Wills 1770-73
A list of Early Marriages in Botetourt Co., VA (1769-1800), From Court Records.
In 1735 the Family of Robert Looney was one of seventy that entered the Quaker Colony of Virginia, with Alexander Ross and Morgan Bryan of the Providence of Pennsylvania. The colony bought 100,000 acres of land near Winchester, Virginia. Among the purchasers listed is Robert Looney. He also received a patent dated November 12, 1735 from the Crown, George the 2nd, for 294 acres on the south bank of the Cohongoronta, upper Potomac River, near the Samuel Owens plantation. He received a grant of 250 acres on the James River and on "Lunie s" Mill Creek, 400 acres on "Lunie s" Mill Creek on July 30, 1742. Robert purchased a large tract of land in Botetourt County on the upper James River, across the river from Buchanan, Virginia, a tract well over 1500 acres.
HOPEWELL FRIENDS HISTORY 1734-1934 Frederick County, Virginia
Chapter II The Fathers of the Colony.
Robert Luna, 294 acres, on the south bank of the Potomac River. On June 13, 1766, Robert Looney signed a power of attorney empowering James Jack of Frederick County to sell for him a certain tract of 294 acres described as patent land granted him November 12, 1735, by authority of an order in council made to Alexander Ross and Morgan Bryan. It is stated in this instrument that Robert Looney was then a resident of Augusta County, Virginia. Witnesses, Wm. Thompson, David Looney, Thomas Jefferson, Peter Hogg, G. Jones. On November 4, 1766, Robert Looney of Augusta County, by his attorney James Jack, sold to Jeremiah Jack of Frederick County this same 294 acres. The property is described as being on the Potomac River and adjoining Samuel Owens.